Living frugally or living as a frugal lifestyle champion doesn’t mean that you have to MISS out on that one time a year break from everyday life! There are many different ways that you can save you a ton of money while traveling and experiencing a wholesome family fun vacation!
Although many of these tips you may not be accustom to, but if used, you will see the savings that you will make by using these tips versus your traditional traveling accommodations. You will also find that you can still have the fun and excitement of a vacation even though you are doing it the “frugal” way!
Tips for taking a “frugal” but fun family vacation:
Opt in to Localized Hotels and Inns vs. Commercial Hotels---
- Try staying in local hotels and inns where you can still give your family a nice place to stay during your vacation but save a ton of money on rates for your entire stay. Although your local hotels and inns will not have all of the accommodations or glitz and glamour that a commercial hotel has, they will still serve the purpose and also give you a homey feeling.
- When you are planning your trip, be sure to research and find the best deals for hotels and inns that are in the area you are planning to vacation to. Making the transition from commercial hotels to local hotels and inns will put money back in your pocket at the end of your vacation and you can still have the fun and exciting time with your family, even if it means letting go of some of the accommodations.
Save on Eating Expenses during Your Vacation---
- bring your own food purchased from a grocery store. This is by far the easiest way to save money and even if your hotel or inn that you are staying in might not have a kitchen,
- opt in to having a family picnic at a local park… something the whole family will enjoy!
- However, if you still want to treat your family to a night of restaurant cuisines, then try going to local diners, cafes, and restaurants. Every city has them, so they can easily be found and will save you a ton of money versus your top rated and well known restaurants.
Look for Cheaper Airfares---
- think smart and find the cheapest air fare that will get you where you need to go, but not cost you an arm and a leg to do it!
- research and find out what others say about a particular airline… if most of the feedback is good and positive experiences, then you probably will have one as well and at a fraction of the cost of what you would normally be spending using a commercial airline.
Save during a Road Trip Travel---
- pack your own cooler filled with drinks, snacks, and even sandwich meat. This will cut down on your expenses dramatically… everyone knows a stop at the gas station for gas is an expense in its own let alone what you spend per drink or snack for each member of your family.
- do some research when planning your vacation and find prices of gasoline at each of the gas stations on your route.
- be sure to pick the cheapest rates and plan your route accordingly to those specific gas stations.
Although a little time is involved in planning a “frugal” family road trip, it is well worth the savings that you will be saving in the end, we promise you! Plus you will take great pleasure in knowing that you provided your family a fun filled and exciting road trip to wherever you plan to vacation to for a fraction of what you would normally be spending on your average road trip that you are accustom to.
Plan Event and Off Season Vacationing---
- Do some extensive research and find events that are cheap to attend.
- find local area museums and parks that are very inexpensive to tour and can be booked in advance during your vacation time. Your family will love these attractions and so will your pocket book!
- determine the time of year you plan to take your break from the “real world.”
- look for cities that host tourist attractions and offer lower their rates during off season. A lot of the times they will lower their rates during off season of course to draw in more tourists, which can pay off for you in the long run. Not only do most of the attractions and events lower their rates but most of the hotels and inns do as well in the surrounding area. So not only will you save on the fun your family can have at the events or attractions but also on your entire stay while vacationing to a particular city.